Tennis betting is betting on who will win the tournament and very exciting at the moment. Roger Federer is the best male tennis player ranking as the world’s number 1 with the greatest female player, Steffi Graf. How can we forget Serena Williams? With both the men’s and women’s singles divisions being extremely competitive right now, predicting the right winner can be quite difficult but lucrative at the same time. We have recent tennis betting news, daily tennis picks, and lines.
Australians love tennis betting, with many placing wagers on the four Grand Slams and more throughout the year. This includes the Australian Open, US Open, French Open, and Wimbledon, among many other smaller tournaments. Tennis betting explained for bettors who want to place bets when the season starts. The best tennis betting sites and more are discussed below and come from our experts.
Best Tennis Betting Sites 2020
- Moneyline – as with pretty much all sports, this bet involves selecting the winner of one single match. For example, betting on Roger Federer to win against Kevin Anderson in the fourth round of Wimbledon.
- Handicap – in tennis, a player favoured to win the match is given a number of games or sets advantage in this specific wager in an attempt to even the odds. This means that the favoured player will need to win by this number of games/sets in order for bets made on this player to be successful. Bets on the underdog will payout if the underdog wins or if the favourite fails to win by the set margin.
- Total Games – similar to over/under bets in other sports. The sportsbook will set a number of games they expect the match to have, and ten punters can bet over or under this figure.
- Outrights/Futures – along with moneyline bets, these are probably the easiest types of wagers to understand, along with the ones most frequently made. Basically, a punter selects a player to win a specific tournament long before the final actually takes place. For example, betting on Novak Djokovic to win Wimbledon, despite the tournament not having even started yet.
Tennis Betting Odds
Tennis betting odds are very easy to understand when using Australian online sportsbooks. While sportsbooks will automatically work out how much you can win from a wager on a tennis match, you can do so yourself if you like too.
Although there are three ways through which to represent betting lines, most sportsbooks in Australia will use the decimal system. This means that odds will be displayed next to the player’s name in the following manner:
Check Out Our Other Tennis Pages
Tennis Betting Tips
If you’re looking at crafting a simple tennis betting strategy, give the following facts some thought:
- Pay Attention to Surface – major tennis tournaments are played on four main surfaces: hardcourt, grass, carpet and clay. It is important to remember that certain tennis players play better on particular surfaces. Rafael Nadal is not called the King of Clay for anything – an estimated 70% of his total wins have come at Opens held at courts with a clay surface. Similarly, Roger Federer does particularly well on grass courts. When betting on a specific competition, it is important to pay attention to this detail.
- Player Attributes are Important – as with all individual sports, all players have attributes that make them better suited to play against other players. Pay attention to this as it may prove to be very useful in determining who may win a particular match. For example, it is well known that John Isner has a great serve and the stamina to play long matches. If he is paired with a who is know to fair badly with returning a good serve, he may be sure to win the match.
- Form – as with all sports, tennis players go through good and bad streaks. It is important to pay attention to a player’s recent form and whether or not they have recently come back from injury. For example, despite being a former Grand Slam champion, Serena Williams suffered a spate of bad results following her return from pregnancy. This included some early exits from some tournaments that not many analysts would have predicted.
- Tennis Betting Expert – bettors need to be up-to-date with the latest tennis betting picks, trends and news.
Tennis Tournaments to Bet On
There are many great tennis opens held each year that provide great betting opportunities for Australian punters. Some of the most popular include the following:
- Australian Open – the biggest tennis championship in the Southern Hemisphere and the most highly attended. The tournament takes place on a hard court, which has seen some historic battles of the years. Novak Djokovic is the winner of the most Australian Open men’s singles titles, whereas Serena Williams is the winner of the most women’s singles titles.
- French Open – also known as the Roland-Garros, the French Open takes place between late May and early June. It is the only major tournament to make use of a clay court. Currently, the record for most men’s singles championship wins is held by Rafael Nadal.
- Wimbledon Betting – the oldest tennis tournament in the world and also arguably the most prestigious, see the best of the best go up against each other on a grass court. It takes place every year in July. Roger Federer is widely known as the most successful competitor in this tournament.
- US Open Tennis Betting– the US Open is played on acrylic hard courts in New York City. It takes place in August every year. Currently, the record for most singles titles is shared by Jimmy Connors, Pete Sampras and active player Roger Federer. The record for women’s singles titles is shared by Serena Williams and Chris Evert.
Tennis Betting FAQs
How to win when betting on tennis?
To bet on tennis you have to wager on a tennis player that will win the match. This is called match betting.
Is tennis betting profitable?
It is difficult to make a profit from tennis betting. So, you need a good strategy in order to maximise your winnings. Place a wager when you see value in the odds. However, there are people who are betting on tennis for a living.
How often do tennis favourites win?
Favourites are usually at 1.1-1.5 odds.
What does 21.5 mean in tennis?
You can wager on the game-ending with under 21.5 matches player. On the other side, you can wager with over 21.5 matches played.
What does 22.5 mean in tennis?
The 22.5 in tennis means that you guess the club that will be victorious in the first set.
What does spread mean in tennis?
A spread bet is when you wager on a player to cover or go above the spread of the match.
Who is the No 1 tennis player in the world?
Roger Federer is ranked the world’s number 1 male tennis player. This is the 5th time that he earned the title.
When was the last time Serena won the Grand Slam?
Serena Williams has 23 Grand Slam singles titles. Her latest win was in the 2017 Australian Open.