Australian Open betting is probably the most popular form of tennis betting in the nation. Aussie punters have a chance to bet on this amazing sporting event online. It doesn’t matter whether you think Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Serena Williams or Maria Sharapova will lift the title, you can place all those bets online. We’ll show you all you need to know about betting on the Australian Open with our handy guide. This includes a list of the top-rated Australian Open betting sites, among other things.
Best Australian Open Betting Sites 2020
How to Bet on the Australian Open
These are so many wonderful Australian Open betting lines available at our recommended tennis sportsbooks. Below are some of the most popular:
- Head-to-Heads – these are straight bets on who will win the matchup. These are the easiest bets to make as they really look at no other factors about this one singular match other than who wins it.
- Futures – these are bets made on who a punter predicts to win the Australian Open. Players will be given odds based on a number of different factors. Odds are generally much higher than on a singular match due to the fact that players have to get through a number of hurdles to get to the final.
- Handicap – these are bets made on a player to win by a specific number of games. Sportsbooks will name one player a favourite and then to make it more interesting punters can bet on that player to win the matchup by, for example, two games or more. If the player fails to meet this metric, the punter loses the bet.
- Totals – with these bets, punters place a wager on what the total number of games played will be. There are several options available at the best Australian Open betting sites.
Australian Open Odds
Odds are an extremely important part of the online betting process. Basically, punters determine how much they could win betting on a particular wager with odds. Sportsbooks in Australia display odds using the decimal odds system. For example, odds on a match between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic may be displayed in the following manner:
Be sure to shop around for the best odds in order to ensure that you earn the most you possibly can from your bet.
Top Australian Open Betting Tips
There are a number of different factors punters need to consider when placing a bet on the Australian Open. Here are some of the most important:
- Pay Attention to the Surface – always remember that players who do well at Wimbledon or the French Open, don’t necessarily always do well at the Australian Open. For example, while Rafael Nadal may be the king of the French Open, he has only won the Australian Open once. Wins at other Grand Slam tournament does not guarantee victory at another Grand Slam event.
- Player History is Important – if you’re keen on head-to-head betting, you have to make sure that you are aware of the history between the players. For example, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer have a pretty even record against each other, with Djokovic slightly edging over Federer. Thus, bets on either player may prove to be a good idea.
- Shop for Odds – this is probably the most important thing a punter can do when betting online. By shopping around for odds, players get the chance to maximise their winnings by ensuring they place their bet at a site with the best odds.
Australian Open History
The Australian Open has been a major tournament on the tennis calendar since it was first contested in 1905. It was first known has the Australasian Championships, but this was changed to Australian Championships in 1927, and then finally the Australian Open in 1969. It is the first of the four Grand Slam titles held every year and it has been host to many legendary matches between the best players tennis has ever seen. Due to this, it has grown into the most popular sporting event in the Southern Hemisphere.
The player who has won the most Australian Open men’s titles is Novak Djokovic and the player who has won the most women’s titles is Margaret Smith Court. Australians (such as Smith Court) are well-known for performing well at the tournament, so be sure to consider them when betting online.
Australian Open Winners
Australian Open Men’s Winners
Australian Open Women’s Winners