Golf betting is a form of sports betting that many Australians love to engage in. This is due to the fact that the sport allows for so many different spread betting wagers that aren’t really available in other sports. Bets aren’t limited to the normal moneyline, totals or futures that are available in pretty much every other sport, but rather there are so many unique bets that can be made.
Aussies who love sports betting really need to look into betting on golf too. It is for this reason we have created the ultimate golf betting guide. Here punters will learn how to bet on golf as well as how to bet well.
Best Golf Betting Sites for Australians 2020
How to Bet on Golf
If you’re looking for what sort of golf betting lines you’ll come across at sportsbooks in Australia, here is a helpful guide:
- To Win Bets – these are simple bets that are comparable to moneyline bets in team sports. Basically, the punter must predict who will win a specific day during a golf tournament. For example, if the US Masters is taking place, you may bet that Justin Rose is going to win Day 3.
- Head-to-Heads – these bets two golfers up against each other. For example, a punter picks Justin Thomas in a head-to-head bet against Jason Day. This means no matter what happens in the tournament, Justin Thomas must finish ahead of Jason Day in order for the best to be paid out. These bets can be made for a singular round or the entire tournament.
- Versus the Field Bets – these bets are usually only available towards the end of a tournament. If one golfer takes a big lead, players can bet that anyone but that player will win the tournament in question.
- Futures – these bets are generally just predictions about who may win a particular tournament long before the tournament results are decided. For example, you could bet on Dustin Johnson to win the PGA Championship on the first day of the tournament. A lot of punters enjoy these bets as they provide good odds. They may be difficult to predict though/
- Props – these are a number of different bets that don’t really affect the outcome of a tournament. Some examples of such bets include how many birdies a player will score, whether or not the player who wins will be under or over the age of 35 or whether there will be any hole-in-ones on a specific day.
Golf Betting Tips
Golf may seem like a hard sport to be on for punters who have never done it before. However, this is not true. If bettors keep the following golf betting systems and tips in mind, they will be sure to place more successful bets:
- Weather is Important – like in cricket, weather plays an integral role in the outcome of a match. Pay attention to wind conditions as well as hints of a storm taking place. Ultimately, you do not want to be left in a situation where you’ve placed a bet on a day and that day is unfortunately rained out.
- Research Players – it is important to note that some players are better at playing on some courses that allow them to play to their strengths. Thus, analyse the game of some players and adjust your bets accordingly. For example, Phil Mickelson has been known to be a good performer in the US Masters due to the design of the Augusta National course. It allows him to make use of his strong swing. Ultimately, these are some of the facts you want to pay attention to.
- Odds Shopping is Crucial – remember odds determine how much money you make on a particular wager. Ultimately, you want to shop around for the sportsbook that is going to give you the biggest bang for your buck. Thus, you need to have a look at all the offers available at sportsbooks you like before placing the wager.
Check Out Our Other Golf Betting Pages
- British Open
- Golf Legends
- PGA Championship
- RBC Canadian Open
- Popular Bets
- Ryder Cup
- Golf Betting Strategy
- Types of Bets
- US Masters
Golf Tournaments to Bet On
There are loads of golf tournaments held throughout the year that Australians can bet on. There are four championships that stand out from the rest though, and those are the Grand Slam tournaments. The four majors are the following:
- US Open – each year this tournament is held at a different golf course. Many consider the championship one of the hardest to win because it is played at harsh fairways. It also commonly features a grueling 18-hole course.
- US Masters – every year this championship is held at the Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia. Only one Australian has ever won this tough tournament that puts the best of best up against one another. It has proven time and again to be one of the hardest tournaments to bet, but also one of the most lucrative.
- Open Championship – also referred to as the British Open. As with US Open, it is also played at a different course every year. The only major placed outside the United States is considered by many to be the easiest to win. There have been many Aussie victories in this tournament for those who like betting on homegrown players.
- US PGA Championship – this is an invitation-only tournament that sees the biggest names in professional golf go up against one another in an effort to be named the best. In the tournament’s 50 year plus history, only four Australians have been able to win the green jacket. Who will win it this year?