eSports betting refers to the activity of placing a real money wager on a professional event. If the punter can correctly predict the outcome of the event, they are awarded a cash prize based on the odds they set the bet. In recent years, eSports betting has grown to become one of the most popular forms of sports betting across the globe.
Aussies love to place wagers on the world’s greatest players in top competitive video game titles, such as League of Legends, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Overwatch, Rocket League and more. With eSports betting growing progressively more popular at the top sportsbooks , many punters are looking for a way to get started in this new exciting form of gambling.
If you’re one such punter, you’ve come to the right place as we’ve created the ultimate eSports betting guide. Here, you will find all they need to know about this major form of sports betting.
Best eSport Betting Sites
These are the top eSports gambling sites in Australia. Punters looking for the best eSports odds are sure to find them here:
How to Bet on eSports
If you are unsure of what betting on eSports entails, we’ll explain them down below:
- Moneyline Bets – this is the most common form of betting and is available in pretty much all sports. Punters select a winner for a specific match. If their eSports prediction is correct, they are paid out.
- Totals – this bet is specific to the game it’s made on. Within regular sports betting, it refers to betting on the total score of the game. In an eSports setting, this may refer to betting on total kills, points or rounds. Punters bet over or under the amount specified by the sportsbooks.
- Handicap Betting – just as with other sports, the eSports betting website gives the underdog somewhat of an advantage to make bets more interesting. For example, in a League of Legends matchup between Fnatic and Cloud9, a betting site might state they expect Cloud9 to win the match 3-0. This means that any bet made on Cloud9 will need the team to win by at least that margin if punters are to be paid out.
- Proposition Bets – these refer to specific bets about the occurrence of a specific aspect in the match. For example, if you’re betting on a Call of Duty match, betting on which team will get first blood or which player will get the most kills.
Top eSports Betting Tips
We can provide you with a few general eSports strategy here:
- Shop for Odds – before placing a wager on any eSports event, make sure to shop for odds. To make the most money, you need to place your bet with the sportsbook that offers the best odds.
- Watch Events – as already stated, eSports is a relatively new sporting code. As with all sports, to make successful bets, you’re going to have to know what’s going on in a tournament. Luckily, with free streaming services like Twitch and YouTube, it is easy to watch eSports events.
- Search for and Follow Tipsters – there are already eSports professionals out there who follow games rigorously to provide the best eSport betting We recommend following a few such tipsters to make better bets.
- Start with Small Bets – if you’re unsure about betting tips or have never done it before, we recommend starting with small bets until you find your footing in the hobby. This way you get to learn trends without wagering too much real money. eSports betting tips are there to make your betting experience a walk in the park.
Popular eSports Betting Tournaments
Explore the tournaments from the list below:
- Overwatch Betting – the Overwatch League has had a firm following in Australia since it was launched in 2016. It makes sense that Aussie sportsbooks would offer punters the chance to bet on the event then.
- Starcraft – a real-time strategy classic that has spurned many professional tournaments over the years. It has also in that time provided punters with great opportunities to win eSport bets.
- League of Legends (LoL) – the League of Legends World Championships draws in millions of viewers across the world each year. Hundreds of thousands of bets are placed on the event each year.
- Hearthstone – Blizzard’s popular card game has garnered a huge following around the world since being launched in 2014. Despite declining player numbers, professional events still provide wonderful betting options.
- CSGO eSports Betting – this popular first-person situational game seen the creation of many wonderful tournaments since it was released in 2012. Aussies who love the game can bet on it at any top sportsbook.
- Dota 2 – although not as popular as LoL, Dota 2 The International still provides Aussies with ample opportunities to place bets.
- Call of Duty eSports Betting – the world’s most popular first-person shooter series has been a firm favourite for avid eSports bettors for years. Bet on the Call of Duty World League, which sees the world’s best showcase their skills.
- Fortnite – since being launched in 2017, Fortnite has grown to become a massive part of modern popular culture. Arguments are rife about who is the world’s best player. Are you willing to wager on your pick?
- Apex Legends – the new kid on the battle royale block has been raising heads with regards to increasing popularity. With large player numbers comes tournaments to determine who is the world’s best player.
Check Out Our Other eSports Pages
Get of current odds from eSports betting websites. Place a wager on eSports matchups or major events. You can wager on eSports in from a wide range of platforms. We’ve done an odds comparison and listed new sites to help you out. The mentioned sportsbooks will give you exactly what you need.
How Popular is eSports Betting?
The popularity of eSports wagering has become big in the industry and is considered to be the fastest-growing branch of the entertainment industry in the world. Year-after-year, the world’s biggest gaming companies spend billions of dollars on well-know eSports betting games and gaming-related equipment to make esports even more popular. The revenues gained by video game publishers and developers often dwarfs that collected by movie studios and music producers.
More often than not, much of the excitement surrounding video games are driven by the social nature of the activity. In multiplayer games, people are actively able to partake in entertaining experiences in a social manner that is not always possible with film or music.
eSports is a natural extension of such experiences, and eSports betting a natural extension of that. Millions of people around the world watch eSports tournaments of the world’s most popular eSports games, and without a doubt many of those fans have felt the call to make these experiences even better by placing a cheeky wager on them. As with regular sports, online eSports betting just make events so much better.
Is it legal to bet on eSports?
Yes. It is legal to bet on eSports in Australia. The form of betting falls underneath the Interactive Gambling Act 2001, which allows for online sports betting.
How do I get into eSports?
To get into eSports you need to:
- Select an event to start focusing on.
- Research the game.
- Use expert eSports tips
- Check out the odds.
- Place your bets at credible sportsbooks.
Where can I bet on eSports?
Listed below are leading sportsbooks in eSports:
- William Hill
Can you bet on league of Legends?
Yes, punters can bet on leagues of legend. This is the most loved game in eSports and has millions of fans who watch the tournament.
What is the biggest game in eSports?
Dota 2 is an eSports game that has the highest earning margin of almost AU$ 60 million.
Who is the highest paid pro gamer?
The highest paid professional gamer in Dota 2 is Kuro “KuroKy” Takhasomi with AU$4.23 million in a prize-winning.
Is eSports betting safe?
Yes. eSports betting is safe when you use licensed and regulated bookies.
Can I use my mobile to bet on eSports?
Yes, you can use your smartphone to bet on eSports in Australia.