Ice Hockey Betting Australia
Ice hockey betting has been growing in Australia with the rise of online sports betting sites. Nowadays, Aussies love to place a good wager on the international hockey leagues like the National Hockey League (NHL) in North America or Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) in Russia. With so many Aussie punters looking for the opportunity to make some money on the sport, we have decided to create the ultimate ice hockey betting guide. Here bettors will have hockey betting explained to them in a manner that is easy to understand. They will also learn about the top-rated sportsbooks in Australia.
Hockey Betting Guide Contents
- Best Ice Hockey Betting Sites 2019
- How to Bet on Hockey
- Hockey Odds Explained
- Ice Hockey Betting Strategies
- Hockey Leagues to Bet On
Best Ice Hockey Betting Sites 2019
The sportsbooks below are the top recommend ice hockey betting sites in Australia. They provide punters with the best available betting options, odds and more.
How to Bet on Hockey
The main aim in ice hockey is to outscore the opposing team, like in most other team sports. There are loads of bets available to make on a competitive hockey match at the top-rated betting sites in Australia. Some of the most popular include the following:
- Outrights/Futures – these are bets made on who might win the league for a season. They can be placed at any point in the season, but odds change as the competition begins to take shape. An example of this may include betting on who may win the Stanley Cup in the NHL.
- Match Result (End of Regulation) – a type of moneyline bet. Basically, bettors predict who will win the game in the regulation 60 minutes. If the game ends in a draw and needs to go into overtime, the bet is lost as the result is counted as a draw.
- Match Result Including Overtime – another type of moneyline bet. Again, bettors just select a winner, but this time the game can’t in a draw, so these bets are easier to win.
- Totals – these are bets made on the total score of the game. The sportsbook will set specific hockey betting lines involving the score that punters can either wager under or over.
- Puck Line Betting – these bets involve trying to beat the advantage that the sportsbook has given to win a specific match. For example, the favourites may be given a two-goal advantage, which will require them to win by two or more goals for any bets made on them to be successful.
- Odds/Evens – bets made on whether the final score of the game will be an even or odd number. Generally, in low scoring sports, it is common for odd numbers to have lower odds than even bets.
Hockey Odds Explained
It doesn’t matter which sport you bet on; odds are important. They determine how much you win with a particular wager. Thus, your aim should always to be on the lookout for the best odds on a particular game.
Although there are many ways in which sportsbooks can choose to display odds, Australian betting sites will always do so using the decimal system. An example of the odds system in practice includes the following:
Washington Capitals (2.05) vs Boston Bruins (2.58)
All punters need to do to calculate how much they may win with a particular wager is multiply their wager with the odds on display. With the above example, an AU$100 bet on the Capitals would yield an AU$205 return.
What Affects Odds?
There is one major issue that affect odds on ice hockey games (or any sport for that matter) and that is the law of probability. This refers to the likelihood of a particular team winning a game. For example, if the team at the top of the league plays the team at the bottom of the league, sportsbooks are going to favour the team at the top because they have been playing well and have a proven success rate.
Check Out Our Other Hockey Pages
Ice Hockey Betting Strategies
Ice hockey is one of the most popular sports to bet on. However, there are a few things to keep wary of when placing a wager. Always keep the following ice hockey betting tips in mind when placing a wager:
- Don’t Focus on Favourites – the one important thing to note in ice hockey (particularly, the world’s most competitive leagues) is that leagues are built with an equilibrium in mind. There isn’t all that much separating the worst teams in a league from the best. So, be careful of filling your betting slip with parlays that are based on betting on favourites.
- Line-Ups are Important – be sure to keep up with the starting line-ups of each team for a particular match you would like to bet on. It is particularly important to make sure that the team’s starting goalie is playing. If not, it could real mean a field day for the opposition.
- Shop Around at Sportsbooks – you don’t want to find out that you could have made more money on a bet at another sports betting site after having already placed a wager. It’s terrible when this happens. Thus, it is important to make sure that you shop around for the best odds.
- Pay Attention to Schedules – if a team has played three games on the road and looks to be going for a fourth, there is a good chance that they may suffer a loss against even the most unlikely opposition. So, make sure to check that the team hasn’t been on some crazy home-away match schedule.
Hockey Leagues to Bet On
There are loads of amazing ice hockey leagues around the world. Australian sports betting sites allow punters to bet on a good number of these leagues. Some that have proven to be popular with our punters include the following:
- National Hockey League (NHL) – the NHL is widely known to be the most popular and competitive hockey league in the world. The North American league sees 31 teams compete for the chance to lift the prestigious Stanley Cup.
- Russian Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) – many consider the KHL to be the biggest ice hockey league in Europe. The league sees 25 teams (19 from Russia and 6 from across Europe and Asia) battle it out in the hopes of one day being able to showcase the Gagarin Cup in their trophy cabinet.
- SM-Liiga – Finland’s premier ice hockey league is thought to be the second strongest in Europe. With the rising success of the national squad, many avid hockey fans are now beginning to pay attention to it, with some even seeking to place a good wager on it.
- Swedish Elite League (SEL) – Sweden’s premier hockey league has begun to receive a lot of international attention for pretty much the same reason as Finland’s. The other interesting thing about the league is the fact that it makes use of a promotion and relegations system, meaning that new teams always have the chance to win the league.
These are just some of the ice hockey competitions available to bet on at the best-rated Australian sports betting sites. Be sure to be on the look out for more when visiting your favourite sportsbook.