How to Bet on Baseball Australia
Baseball betting is quite popular in Australia, with punters choosing to bet on several leagues around the world at the best online betting sites. Some such leagues include Major League Baseball (MLB), the Nippon Professional Baseball as well as the Australian Baseball League (ABL). With our ultimate baseball betting guide, Australians will learn exactly how to bet on baseball and how to do it. So, read on to find out more.
Best Baseball Betting Sites for Aussie Punters
These sportsbooks provide Aussie bettors with the best in baseball online betting options. Here punters will be able to try all the easy baseball betting strategies we outline below:
Baseball Betting Guide Contents
- Best Baseball Betting Sites for Aussie Punters
- Baseball Betting Lines Explained
- Baseball Odds Explained
- Leagues to Bet On
- Baseball Betting Tips
Baseball Betting Lines Explained
If you are just starting to get into the sport of baseball, but do not how to bet on it, the following bets are on offer at the best sports betting sites in Australia:
- Head-to-Heads – as with all sports, punters predict who will win a singular match with these bets. It is the most popular bet at sportsbooks and the easiest to make.
- Futures – betting on who may win a particular tournament, league or championship long before the final game is actually played. For example, predicting that the Boston Red Sox will win the World Series halfway through the season. There are some futures that can be placed on player attributes, such as most runs in a season.
- Totals – these are bets made on the total score of a game combined. For example, betting that a game’s total score will exceed seven runs. These bets are also known as over/unders as punters can also bet under a particular score.
- In-Play Bets – these are bets made during a live match and includes bets such as head-to-heads, totals and props. Odds change as the game progresses.
- Runline – this is the baseball’s form of a spread bet. Basically, the favoured team is given a handicap that they need to surpass in order for any bets made on them to be successful.
- Props – these are propositional bets made on a singular match. For example, predicting that Mike Trout will be the first to hit a homerun in a match-up between the Los Angeles Angels and the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Baseball Odds Explained
Odds are very important when betting on any sport as they ultimately determine how much a punter will win from a correctly predicted wager. Baseball betting odds will usually be displayed in one of three ways at the top sports betting sites in Australia:
- Decimal – the popular odds format for Australian and European sportsbooks. Odds for a wager on a baseball game will be displayed in the following manner: Baltimore Oriole (2.10) vs Tampa Bay Rays (1.72). In this particular case, the Rays are favoured to win the match. To understand how much you’ll win in a singular match up, all you need to do is multiply your wager by the decimal.
- Fractional – this odds format is the norm at UK bookmakers. Odds for a sports game will be displayed with a fraction. For example, Baltimore Orioles (11/10) vs Tampa Bay Rays (3/4). The basics of this system is how much you win for how much you stake. For instance, AU$10 bet on the Orioles will yield AU$11 profit.
- American – as the name may already suggest, this odds format is used at the sportsbooks in North America. For example, the same game could be displayed as Baltimore Orioles (+110) vs Tampa Bay Rays (-130). With this method, punters would need to bet AU$130 to win AU$100 when betting on the Rays, but would win AU$110 for every AU$100 bet on the Baltimore Orioles.
It can be difficult to calculate odds that exactly represent the outcome of a game. This is why it is important to make sure you check sportsbooks. You may find a betting line that is not truly representative of the potential outcome of a game.
Leagues to Bet On
While baseball isn’t exactly the most popular sport in the world, there are a load of different baseball leagues Australians can bet on at the top sportsbooks in the nation. Some include the following:
- Major League Baseball (MLB) – the premier baseball league in North America is undoubtedly the most popular tournament in the sport. Over 30 teams across the United States and Canada compete to be named the best on the continent. With over 2430 games played each season, there is ample opportunity to bet on a match up.
- Nippon Professional Baseball – the highest professional baseball league in Japan is one of the sport’s most exciting. It ranks second in the world of highest fan attendance for a sporting league (only behind the MLB). Hundreds of games are played each season which only translates in hundreds of opportunities to win big.
- Australian Baseball League (ABL) – the ABL has a short history, only having been resurrected in 2009 but has proved to be a growing sporting code in Australia. With the season taking place over the summer months, there is a good opportunity for the league to grow in future. Currently, sportsbooks have started taking notice of the league and providing betting opportunities.
- KBO League – Korea’s premier baseball league is extremely popular in the Asian nation. Over the years, it has yielded many great stars in the sport. There are some opportunities to bet on the sport at some sportsbooks.
Baseball Betting Tips
Many Australian punters wonder how to win money betting on baseball. While there is no perfect baseball betting strategy, it is important to keep the following tips in mind when placing a wager on the sport:
- Analyse a Team’s Starting Batters and Pitchers – these are the two core aspects of a baseball team. If a team has a good pitcher, and the opposing team only average batters, it becomes easier to predict that team being struck out. However, if the opposite is true, it could mean a high scoring game. It is also important to ensure that you know who the starting pitcher will be on a particular day before betting on it.
- Weather Conditions are Important – remember that weather conditions have a big impact on how teams perform. Strong winds can destroy batting averages, which may mean lower total scores. Higher humidity percentages mean struck balls travel further, which means higher totals. Always keep these ideas in mind.
- Follow Tipsters with Good Stats – there are loads of tipsters out there betting on top baseball leagues. Make sure you check the stats of the tipster before following any of their baseball betting advice.
- Shop for Odds – remember that there are loads of sportsbooks out there offering a different set of odds for the same games. Make sure to shop around for odds before making a bet, as you’ll be very angry with yourself if you miss out a good deal.