AFL Grand Final Betting is pretty much an annual Aussie tradition! The final is regularly the most watched event in Australia each year. With the sport being the most popular in the nation, it really is no surprise that so many punters like placing a good wager on the Grand Final at sports betting sites.
Here we go through the ins and outs of placing a bet on this momentous occasion. Below is a guide on how to bet on the AFL Grand Final as well as tips on picking a winner. So, read on and learn more.
Best AFL Grand Final Betting Sites
How to Bet on the AFL Grand Final
Them following are the most popular bets to place on the AFL Grand Final:
- Head-to-Head Bets – these are simple bets. Basically, all a punter has to do when making a head-to-head bet is predict who is going to win the match. The odds set for each team to win the match is based on past performance as well as news of line-ups, injuries and even weather.
- Norm Smith Medal Betting – the Norm Smith medal is awarded to the best player on the field during the AFL Grand Final. The awarded is decided with a panel of judges using a 3,2,1, voting system. It is possible to place live bets on this award throughout the match. It may be quite difficult to bet on this particular award if there really are no standout players in a particular match. We recommend having a look at the stats of players before placing a bet.
- First Goalscorer Betting – as with betting on any other match, this is a bet made on who will score the first goal in the AFL Grand Final. You can either select the player to score the first goal for their team in the match or the player to score the first goal in the entire match overall. Many punters like making first goalscorer and head-to-head multibets.
- Possession Betting – these are bets that aim to predict which team may land up with the most possession at the end of the match. This is a very difficult betting market to wager on as it is quite difficult to predict who will have the most possession.
AFL Grand Final Betting Tips
The AFL Grand Final is contested by different teams each year; thus, it would be very difficult to give specialised tips about, which teams to bet on and which bets to make. However, below are some general betting tips to do with the AFL Grand Final we suggest that all punters keep in mind before placing a bet:
- Take Advantage of Promotions – as we said, the AFL Grand Final is the biggest event on the sporting calendar in Australia. This means that many Australian sportsbooks will run promotions that will allow players to make bigger bets for better winnings. We recommend trying to take advantage of these deals when making a bet.
- Research the Teams – remember that both teams have a road to the final that you can study up to make better bets. If the Collingwood Magpies have traditionally struggled against the West Coast Eagles, and the final is contested between the two teams, it may pay to bet on the Eagles. Obviously, there is a load of other factors to take into account like team line-up and injuries, but these are all things you need to know.
- Research Odds – make sure to shop around for odds before placing a bet. Remember that all sportsbooks offer different betting lines and at different odds too. We recommend having a look at the bets you can make at a site and the total odds you’ll incur when making it before placing down any real money.
AFL Grand Final Betting Odds
AFL Grand Final outright and futures odds change throughout the year as the season progresses. The odds of a head-to-head bet are calculated based on the performances of the teams going into the final match, the line-ups of the teams and whether or not there are any injured players.
In general, most Australian sportsbooks will display odds using the decimal odds system. This involves putting decimals next to the team’s name. Below is an example of how such odds would be displayed:
We must stress that players shop around for the best odds before placing their bet. This is the only way to ensure that you make the most money possible.