Rugby union betting is rather popular with Australian punters who enjoy watching the Super Rugby league or Rugby Championship on a yearly basis. Some bettors absolutely love wagering on the sport because they deem the results slightly more predictable – there are a handful of countries that are really good at the sport – and this in turn makes it easier to make successful bets.
Well, if you’re interested in learning how to bet on rugby union games online, we’ve created the ultimate guide to doing so right here. On this page, punters get a chance to learn about the different bets they can make on the sport as well as some of the best rugby betting tips. So, read on and learn more about betting on rugby union at Australian sports betting sites!
Best Rugby Union Betting Sites 2020
Best Lottery Service
Reliable Sports Betting Site
Competitive Odds for Sports Games
How to Bet on Rugby Union Matches
Aussie punters who have experience betting on other sports will be quite familiar with most of the popular betting markets available on rugby union games. If you’re unsure of what those are, we’ve listed a few down below:
- Moneyline – if you unfamiliar with sports betting overall, you’ll probably still know about moneyline betting. It’s basically placing a wager on who will win a particular matchup. In Rugby, punters will mostly use the 1×2 form of moneylines, which means that they bet on the game ending in a win for a particular team or a draw.
- Totals – some punters may be more familiar with over/under in relation to this type of bet. Basically, bettors attempt to predict whether a match’s overall scoreline will exceed or remain under a predicted scoreline. It is important to note that the score involves adding
- Props – these are bets made on specific happenings taking place in a match. It could mean placing a bet on who will score the next try or if a player will score a hattrick of tries. It all depends on what bets are available at a specific site.
- Futures – do you have an inkling of who may win the Super Rugby this year? Maybe you think that Australia has a good chance in the Rugby Championship this year? Then, you should really think about placing a bet future bet on the team to win the tournament. These bets provide great odds because they are very easy to lose.
- Handicap – sportsbooks try to even the odds with these bets. Basically, if punters bet on a team that has been deemed favourites to win a match, the team will need to win by a certain scoreline in order for the bet to payout.
Rugby Union Betting Tips
There are loads of rugby union betting tipsters out there giving out free advice. But, before you go check out what they have on offer, we recommend having a look at the basic tips we’ve got here:
- Don’t Count Out New Zealand – it is widely known by rugby union fans across the world that New Zealand is pretty much always one of the top nations to watch in the sport. If you’re betting on an international tournament, be sure to keep this in mind. The nation has won the most Rugby Championship and World Cup titles. Overall, they’re a good team to get behind and terrible side to bet against.
- Be Wary of Placing Futures too Early – this is pretty much applicable to any sport. You want to avoid placing future bets on teams that have a good showing at the beginning of the season as anything could happen later on down the line. Ultimately, we’re not saying don’t try to get in early to get the best odds, but do keep in mind that placing a bet too early does increase your odds of placing an unsuccessful bet.
- Find the Best Odds – again, it doesn’t matter which sport you bet on, you need to make sure that you shop around for odds before placing a bet. Ultimately, you increase your winnings by placing bets at laces with better odds.
Rugby Union Tournaments to Bet On
If you’re looking for the top rugby union tournaments to bet on, look no further than those listed down below! You are sure to have an amazing time betting on these online:
- Super Rugby – the best rugby union clubs from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina and Japan go at it to find out who is the top club in the sport’s biggest club tournament. Most sportsbooks offer some of the best rugby prop bets available for this competition.
- Six Nations – this is the most competitive tournament held in the Northern Hemisphere and features top European rugby sides, such as Italy, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France and England. Although it is not quite the same as watching The Rugby Championship, there are still loads of betting opportunities available to punters.
- The Rugby Championship – many consider this tournament to be the most competitive within rugby union as it features three of the best nations in the sport – Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Argentina also just recently joined the fray to make it a southern hemisphere clash that is just a must watch! Check out the bets available at our recommended sportsbooks when this tournament comes around later this year.
- Rugby World Cup – although it only comes around every four years, the IRB Rugby World Cup always brings with a range of wonderful and lucrative bets. Be sure to check out all the bets on offer for Japan 2019 later this year.