The Victoria Derby takes place every year at Melbourne’s famed Flemington Racecourse on the first day of the Melbourne Cup Carnival. It is one of the most famous horse races in the country, which is why Victoria Derby betting is so popular with Aussies who like to place sports bets online.
If you would like to learn more about betting on this prestigious race, you have come to the right place. Here, we detail how to bet on the Derby and the tips you should keep in mind while doing so. So, read on and find out all you need to know about betting on this great event, including the best sports betting sites to place a wager on this event!
Best Victoria Derby Betting Sites 2020
Best Lottery Service
Reliable Sports Betting Site
Competitive Odds for Sports Games
How to Bet on the Victoria Derby
Betting on the Victoria Derby is pretty much the same as betting on any other horse racing on an event in Australia or around the world. If you are unsure about wagering on horse racing in general, well don’t fret, because we are about to go through all the different types of bets you can make on this race.
Basically, horse racing bets can be broken up into two different types: standard and exotic bets. Exotic bets are more complex than standard bets, but award more money when you do win. Here’s a break down of the bets in each of these two categories:
- Fixed Odds – this is a straight bet on who you think may win the race. In other sports, this is known as a moneyline or to win bet.
- Starting Price – these are bets made at average odds at the beginning of a race.
- Exacta – punters pick two horses to end in first and second position. The horses need to finish in the correct order for the bet to be successful. Trifecta and Quadrealla bets follow the same concept except with more horses.
- Quinella – the punter picks two horses again, but they can finish in any order as long as they come in at first and second.
- Boxed Bets – punters place a range of exotic bets on multiple races with the hopes of walking away with an absolutely insane payout.
Victoria Derby Odds
If you are going to bet on the Victoria Derby, you are going to have to learn how odds work. Odds are what tell you how much you can win in a particular winner. Basically, there are three different ways in which a sportsbook can represent them: American, fractional and decimal. Australians don’t like to overcomplicate things, which is why they prefer to use the decimal system.
So, when you visit an online sports betting site in Australia, odds should generally be displayed in the following manner:
|Horse Name||Win Odds||Place Odds|
|Poke The Bear||14.00||4.46|
Now, the odds located next to the horse’s name can be used to calculate how much you could win by betting on that horse. For example, let’s say you want to place a bet on Black Opium to place, all you need to do is multiply how much you would like to bet on the horse with the odds next to Black Opium’s name and underneath the place column.
For example, an AU$100 multiplied by 4.46 should add up to AU$446. This amount includes both the punter’s stake and winnings. So, with this all cleared up, you should understand how to read Victoria Derby odds and should be ready to place bets on the race. So, what are you waiting for?
Victoria Derby Betting Tips
There are a couple of things to keep in mind when betting on the Victoria Derby. While none of the tips we provide on this page are guaranteed to ensure that you make winning bets, they will help make more successful bets on a more consistent basis. Our top tips include the following:
- There has been a load of upsets in the Victoria Derby since it was first run. However, that said, it has proven profitable more often than not to bet on the favourite coming into the race in recent years. Although this is a strategy we do not believe that players should live and die by, it has certainly proven to be helpful for the past couple of years.
- Pay attention to races leading up to the Victoria derby, particularly those that are longer than 2000m. More often than not the winner of the Victoria Derby has tasted victory in the lead-up to this great event and is looking to do it again.
- Shop around for odds as the Victoria Derby draws nearer. Remember that in the lead-up to the race odds will be fluctuating meaning that there will be plenty of opportunities to capitalise on value bets.
While these are some general betting tips for this prestigious horse racing event, we do implore our punters to keep visiting ausportsbetting.org to get more race-specific tips in the lead up to the event in our blog.
Last 10 Victoria Derby Winners
Sometimes, knowing who the previous winners of a particular race is helpful in making better bets. Punters can analyse the attributes of the horse and trainer when looking ahead to make a bet on an upcoming race. Thus, we thought it would be helpful to provide punters with the last 10 winners of the Victoria Derby.
|2018||Extra Brut||Darren Weir|
|2017||Ace High||David Payne|
|2016||Prized Icon||James Cummings|
|2010||Lion Tamer||Murray & Bjorn Baker|
|2009||Monaco Consul||Michael Moroney|