Kennedy Oaks betting (also widely known as VRC Oaks betting) is yet another popular form of horse racing wagering in Australia. The event, which takes place the Thursday after the Melbourne Cup, is a much-celebrated event at Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne as part of the Victoria Racing Club’s yearly Spring Carnival. Australians who are interested in betting on this prestigious race have ample opportunity to do so at the top sports betting sites in Australia.
If you would like to learn more about Kennedy Oaks betting, we suggest you keep reading. We have created the ultimate guide to this famous event below. Some of the topics we cover include how to bet on the VRC Oaks, how to read odds as well as general betting tips. We even provide you with a list of sites that offer the largest range of horse racing bets. So, read on and learn all you need to know about wagering on this event.
Best VRC Oak Betting Sites
How to Bet on the VRC Kennedy Oaks Online
There are two types of bets that can be made on any sort of horse race, including the VRC Kennedy Oaks. These are standard and exotic bets. We’ve briefly described both down below.
These are simpler bets that usually focus on a single horse in a single race. Odds can fluctuate as in the lead-up to the race:
- Fixed Odds – these are bets made on a horse to win a single race. It is the most popular form of online wagers.
- SP or Starting Price – these are bets made at the start of each race. The price is only revealed after the race is completed.
These are larger bets that include multiple races or multiple horses in a single race. Some of the most popular exotic bets include the following:
- Exacta – punters bet on two horses to come in first and second in the exact order.
- Quinella – this is exactly the same as an exacta bet, except the two horses can finish in first and second in any order.
- Trifecta – the same as an exacta bet, except with three horses than two.
- First Four – these bets see punters attempt to predict which horses will finish in the first four positions of a single race.
To learn more about the other bets you can make on the VRC Oaks, be sure to visit our horse racing page.
Understanding Kennedy Oaks Betting Odds
If you’re a seasoned bettor, then you probably already understand how odds work. But, on the off chance that you don’t know how to read odds, we’ve got a guide to help you out right here (although we hope you read it before the Melbourne Cup starts.)
There are three different types of odds formats used at online sportsbooks: fractional, decimal and American. Now, in Australia, the decimal format is preferred, which means you don’t really need to learn how to read the others. However, if you’re interested in learning more about the two other systems, be sure to check out our page on sports betting odds.
Now, at a sports betting site that uses the decimal odds format, a betting line should be displayed in the following manner:
|Final Say||John Velazquez||3.70||1.85|
|Tiz Morning||Dylan Davis||5.00||2.20|
|Orbed||Irad Ortiz Jr||2.35||1.40|
To calculate how much you stand a chance of winning by betting on any of these horses to win or place, you just need to multiply your stake by the odds next to the horse. For example, an AU$100 bet on Tiz Morning to win, you will win AU$500. The reason for this that 100 X 5 is equal to 500. This amount includes both your winnings and your stake.
Oaks Day Betting Tips
There are a few things to keep in mind when betting on the Kennedy Oaks. Below we’ve listed some of the best VRC Oaks betting tips to keep in mind when planning your bet slip, which we have listed down below. We also recommend that you have a look at our blog closer to race day.
- Pay close attention to the results of the Wakeful Stakes, which takes place five days before the Kennedy Oaks. The winner of the Wakeful Stakes has often gone on to win this race too.
- Punters need to have a look at whether horses are struggling to adapt to different race grounds. If so, even if the horse has won previously, it may struggle to win again on the Kennedy Oaks.
- Generally, the horse sportsbooks peg favourites to win the race with a good history of actually winning it. While we wouldn’t say that you should blindly bet on a favourite, we will say that you should have a good look at the horse before placing your bet.
- Pay attention to the draw. It is widely known that the further wide your pick is drawn, the worse it is for your chances of winning when there is a big field.
- As always, make sure to shop around for odds. You don’t want to place a bet and later find out that you could’ve made more by placing the same bet at a different sportsbook.
For more Kennedy Oaks betting advice, be sure to place close attention to our blog, where we keep you updated with all the latest developments.
Last 10 VRC Oaks Winners
Sometimes knowing who last won the race is a good way to make future bets. Punters are able to determine who the trainer and jockey were, and whether the combination may prove to be successful again. It is for this reason we have decided to list the last ten winners of the prestigious Kennedy Oaks horse racing event.