PGA Championship betting is one of the major forms of golf betting available. This is due to the popularity of the tournament, which is also considered to be one of the four biggest yearly golf tournaments. Every year, the biggest golfers battle it out to determine who really is best in the sport. Many punters tend to believe that this is the most competitive competition in the sport as players need to be invited to play in the tournament.
If you are keen on learning how to bet on the PGA Championship, you have come to the right place. Our guide has got everything you could ever want to know about wagering on this tournament at Aussie sports betting sites.
Best PGA Championship Betting Sites
Best Lottery Service
Reliable Sports Betting Site
Competitive Odds for Sports Games
PGA Championship Betting Lines
There are loads of different PGA Championship betting markets available at the top online betting sites in Australia. Below are some of the basic bets you can expect to find at most of the golf betting sites recommended on this page:
- Outright Winner – do you think you know who is going to lift the PGA Championship trophy this year? Well, then we suggest you make an outright bet. Also known as a future bet, these are wagers made on the eventual winner of the tournament long before the result is decided.
- Round Leader – these are bets made on which player will lead a specific round. For example, punters can bet on Jason Day to lead the first round of the competition. Bettors do not need him to win the whole tournament for the bet to be successful.
- Top Australian Player – with these bets, punters try to predict which Australian player will perform the best at the tournament. Again, they do not need to win it, but they do need to beat out all the other players of the same nationality.
- Head-to-Heads – these are bets made on two players competing against each other. Essentially, punters just bet that one player is going to perform better than another. All bettors need for this wager to pay out is for the player they selected to perform better than the player they were set against in the wager.
- Versus the Field – punters are generally only able to make these bets if a winner has been decided for the tournament sometime before the final day. Essentially, players try to predict who will finish second in the competition.
Golf Betting Odds PGA Championship
PGA Championship betting odds are calculated and read the same way odds on any other golfing tournament would be drawn up. If you are unsure about golf betting odds in general, we’ll go into it all down below.
Basically, there are three different ways in which sports betting sites can display odds: fractional, American and decimal. In general, most Australian sites will stick to using the decimal method, which will explain down below. If you want to learn about the others, you should head over to our sports betting guide.
So, when you visit an Australian sportsbook and select to bet on the PGA Championship, odds should generally appear in the following manner:
You will then select the player you would like to bet on. To calculate how much you could possibly win from this bet, all you need to do is multiply your stake by the odds located next to the player you have selected. For example, let’s say you want to place an AU$200 bet on Jason Day, you will multiply that bet by 14.00 and learn that you could potentially earn AU$1400. This amount includes both your stake and winnings.
An important thing you should always keep in mind is that you need to shop around for odds. Keeping the example above in mind, there is a chance that you could find a better deal for a bet on Jason Day at another sportsbook. The only way you are going to find this out is if you have a look.
US PGA Championship Betting Tips
If you’re looking for some up to date betting tips on the PGA Championship, we recommend that you have a look at our blog close to and around the time of the tournament. With that stated, there are a few good and basic tips you always need to keep in mind when betting on this prestigious tournament.
- Study up on Form – as with any sport, golfers go through good and bad spells which could result in them standing a better or worse chance of winning the PGA Championship. While Tiger Woods is widely regarded as one of the best golfers who ever lived, he has not really been in the best form since his last major championship win in 2008. Thus, any bet on Woods could prove to be a loss despite his big name.
- Pay Attention to Weather – weather can dramatically impact the game of some players. It is always important to remember that some players play better in the rain and overcast conditions, whereas others need the sun to shine.
- American Players are Always a Bet – while the tournament has seen winners of a load of different nationalities over the last decade, history has proven that Americans tend to do well at the PGA Championship, which is, after all, hosted at a course in the US. While you never guaranteed a win when betting on an American, it is more likely that a player of this nationality will win.
Last 10 PGA Championship Winners
Here is a list of the last 10 winners of the PGA Championship. While in the past American players have seemingly dominated the tournament, the last few years have seen people of other nationalities win the coveted major. It really does seem as if anyone is game to win it nowadays:
|2009||Yang Yong-Eun||South Korea|
|2011||Keegan Bradley||United States|
|2012||Rory McIlroy||Northern Ireland|
|2013||Jason Dufner||United States|
|2014||Rory McIlroy||Northern Ireland|
|2016||Jimmy Walker||United States|
|2017||Justin Thomas||United States|
|2018||Brooks Koepka||United States|