The British Open, which is also known as the Open Championship, is one of the four major golf tournaments played throughout the year. Thus, British Open betting is pretty popular with golfing fans in Australia. There are so many punters across the country looking for a good sports betting site to place wagers on the tournament.
Well, if you are one such bettor, we have got the ultimate Open Championship betting guide here for you. Down below we discuss how to bet on the tournament, general wagering tips and more. So, read on down below and learn all you need to know about wagering on this great golf event at sports betting sites!
Best British Open Betting Sites 2020
How to Bet on the Open Championship
If you are unsure about how golf betting works, we’ve got a you covered with all the most popular bets you can make on the British Open down below:
- To Win Bets – this is a bet made on a singular day during the Open Championship. For example, you could bet that Justin Day is going to win Day 2 of the tournament. His performance in the rest of the competition has no effect on this bet.
- Outrights/Futures – just as in other sports, outrights are bets made on players to win the British Open overall. These bets generally provide punters with better odds than the average to win bet. This is especially true if you place it long before the tournament’s results begin shaping up.
- Head-to-Heads – with these bets, punters pit two golfers against each other. This means that a golfer you bet on must perform better than the opponent you pit him or her against in order for the bet to win. It doesn’t matter if the two golfers come last and second last, your selection needs to do better than the selected opponent.
- Versus the Field – these bets can only be made in the later stages of the tournament. Basically, if one player takes a huge lead in the tournament, punters can bet on other players to be first runner-up thereby excluding the winner from the bet. These wagers sometimes provide pretty good odds.
It is important to note that these are only some of the most popular bets available for Aussie punters to make on the British Open. There are a load of others available at our recommended sites, so be sure to check them out!
Understanding British Open Betting Odds
If you’re going to engage in Open Championship odds betting, you are going to have to learn how to read odds. The reason for this is that they tell you how much you could possibly earn from a bet you place.
Well, the good thing is that reading odds is pretty simple. There are three different odds systems used to display odds: American, decimal and fractional. Australians only really need to know about the decimal system as this is the system that is most commonly used at online sports betting sites meant for AU punters.
So, keeping this in mind, sportsbooks will generally display odds in the following manner:
All players need to do to calculate how much they could win by placing a wager on any of these players is multiply their stake by the odds next to the player’s name. For example, an AU$100 bet on Tiger Woods would pay out AU$1500. The reason for this is that AU$100 multiplied by 15.00 is equal to that amount.
It is very important for punters to shop around for odds. This is the only way to ensure that you make the most money possible is by looking for the site with the best odds.
Top British Open Gold Betting Tips
We won’t pretend to be golf betting experts. However, there are a few general tips we think punters interested in betting on the British Open need to keep in mind in order to make successful bets. Below are some of the most important:
- The Course Changes Every Year – it is important to note that the British Open is played at about different courses across the United Kingdom. Some players may have had experience on some of these whereas others not. Be sure to check the results of previous tournaments held at a particular course before placing a bet. You may find that some players perform better than others on some courses.
- Pay Attention Players Form Going into the Tournament – it is important to note that different players may be in form at different moments in times. While Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose and Brook Koepka have all held the world number one position very recently, this does not mean that each of these players are showing the same sort of form going into the tournament.
- Focus on Stats – it is important to pay attention to a load of different world stats when placing a bet, including strokes gained, greens in regulation and fairways in regulation among others. This helps a punter gauge a player’s consistency over time. This is a better metric to use than scoring average and driving accuracy which can be rather deceptive stats for good bets.
Recent British Open Winners
Below are the winners of the British Open over the last decade. Pay mind to the fact that there does not seem to be a consistent winner: