Best eSports Betting Australia 2020
eSports betting is the best. Au punters to bet using their phones of desktop. In recent years, eSports betting has grown to become one of the most popular forms of sports betting around. Aussies love to place wagers on the world’s best players in top competitive video game titles, such as League of Legends, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Overwatch, Rocket League and more. With eSports betting growing progressively more popular at the top sportsbooks down under, many Aussies are looking for a way to get started in this new exciting form of gambling.
If you’re one such punter, you’ve come to the right place as we’ve created the ultimate eSports betting guide. Here, Aussies will find all they need to know about this popular form of sports gambling, including where to find the best esports betting websites.
Top eSport Betting Sites for Australians
These are the top-rated eSports gambling sites in Australia. Punters looking for the best eSports betting odds are sure to find them here:
eSports Betting Guide Contents
- Top eSport Betting Sites for Australians
- What is eSports Betting?
- How eSports Betting Works?
- Popular eSports Betting Tournaments
- Top eSports Betting Tips
- How Popular is eSports Betting?
- Is Betting on eSports Legal?
What is eSports Betting?
eSports betting refers to the activity of placing a real money wager on a professional event. If the punter is able to correctly predict the outcome of the event, they are awarded a cash prize based on the odds they set the bet at.
With the growing popularity of video game culture around the world, eSports betting has become an extremely common wagering option at sportsbooks around the world, including Australia. Nowadays, it really isn’t all that difficult to place a wager on a multinational video game event, such as the League of Legends World Championships.
It is important not to confuse eSports betting with eSports skin betting, which is popular in games such as CS: GO. The wagering options available at the sportsbooks offered on this site have to do with placing wagers on the victors of professional events, and not to win skins for your in-game weapons.
How eSports Betting Works?
eSports betting forms are available at leading sites. The same betting options seen in regular sports betting is also available for eSport events. If you are unsure of what eSports betting entails, we’ll explain them down below:
- Moneyline Bets – this is the most common form of betting and is available in pretty much all sports. Punters select a winner for a specific match. If their eSports prediction is correct, they are paid out.
- Totals – this bet is specific to the game it’s made on. Within regular sports betting, it refers to betting on the total score of the game. In an eSports setting, this may refer to betting on total kills, points or rounds. Punters bet over or under the amount specified by the sportsbooks.
- Handicap Betting – just as with other sports, the eSports betting website gives the underdog somewhat of an advantage in order to make bets more interesting. For example, in a League of Legends matchup between Fnatic and Cloud9, a betting site might state they expect Cloud9 to win the match 3-0. This means that any bet made on Cloud9 will need the team to win by at least that margin if punters are to be paid out.
- Proposition Bets – these refer to specific bets pertaining to the occurrence of a specific aspect in the match. For example, if you’re betting on a Call of Duty match, betting on which team will get first blood or which player will get the most kills.
Popular eSports Betting Tournaments
Popular eSports betting tournaments are exciting! Famous esportsevents happen throughout the year. Accomplished eSports betting events have grown in popularity throught Australia. Gamblers can have a swing at these top esports betting tournaments below:
- Overwatch – the Overwatch League has had a firm following in Australia since it was launched in 2016. It makes sense that Aussie sportsbooks would offer punters the chance to bet on the event then.
- Starcraft – a real-time strategy classic that has spurned many professional tournaments over the years. It has also in that time provided punters with great opportunities to win eSport bets.
- League of Legends (LoL) – the League of Legends World Championships draws in millions of viewers across the world each year. Hundreds of thousands of bets are placed on the event each and every year.
- Hearthstone – Blizzard’s popular card game has garnered a huge following around the world since being launched in 2014. Despite declining player numbers, professional events still provide wonderful betting options.
- CS: GO – this popular first-person situational game seen the creation of many wonderful tournaments since it was released in 2012. Aussies who love the game can bet on it at any top sportsbook.
- Dota 2 – although not as popular as LoL, Dota 2 The International still provides Aussies with ample opportunities to place bets.
- Call of Duty – the world’s most popular first-person shooter series has been a firm favourite for avid eSports bettors for years. Bet on the Call of Duty World League, which sees the world’s best showcase their skills.
- Fortnite – since being launched in 2017, Fortnite has grown to become a massive part of modern popular culture. Arguments are rife about who is the world’s best player. Are you willing to wager on your pick?
- Apex Legends – the new kid on the battle royale block has been raising heads with regards to increasing popularity. With large player numbers comes tournaments to determine who is the world’s best player.
Check Out Our Other eSports Pages
Top eSports Betting Tips
Tips for eSports will surely get you ahead of the game. While we urge you to have a look at our blog section for current eSports betting tips on upcoming eSports events, we can provide you with a few general eSports betting tips here:
- Shop for Odds – before placing a wager on any eSports event, make sure to shop for odds. To make the most money, you need to place your bet with the sportsbook that offers the best odds.
- Watch Events – as already stated, eSports is relatively new sporting code. As with all sports, to make successful bets, you’re going to have to know what’s going on in a tournament. Luckily, with free streaming services like Twitch and YouTube, it is easy to watch eSports events.
- Search for and Follow Tipsters – there are already eSports betting professionals out there who follow games rigorously to provide the best eSport betting We recommend following a few such tipsters to make better bets.
- Start with Small Bets – if you’re unsure about eSports betting tips or have never done it before, we recommend starting with small bets until you find your footing in the hobby. This way you get to learn trends without wagering too much real money. eSports betting tips are there to make your betting experience a walk in the park.
How Popular is eSports Betting?
The popularity of eSports betting has become big. eSports famous games in the industry are considered to be the fastest growing branch of the entertainment industry in the world. Year-after-year, the world’s biggest gaming companies spend billions of dollars on well-know eSports betting games and gaming-related equipment to makeeSports even more popular. The revenues gained by video game publishers and developers often dwarfs that collected by movie studios and music producers.
More often than not, much of the excitement surrounding video games is driven by the social nature of the activity. In multiplayer games, people are actively able to partake in entertaining experiences in a social manner that is not always possible with film or music.
eSports is a natural extension of such experiences, and eSports betting a natural extension of that. Millions of people around the world watch eSports tournaments of the world’s most popular eSports games, and without out a doubt many of those fans have felt the call to make these experiences even better by placing a cheeky wager on them. As with regular sports, online eSports betting just makes events so much better.
Is Betting on eSports Legal?
The eSports betting law states that eSports betting is completely legal in Australia. The form of betting falls underneath the Interactive Gambling Act 2001, which allows for online sports betting. Ultimately, eSports betting is just another form of sports betting as gamblers place wagers on professional athletes competing to see who is the best.
As always, Aussie punters just need to make sure that they only ever place bets at an eSports betting site that is licensed within the state they live in. So, for example, if you live in Melbourne, the site needs to be licensed and regulated by the Victoria Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation. It is your own responsibility to ensure that you gamble at sportsbooks approved in your state.
This all stated, we do urge gamblers to understand that eSports is still a developing professional sporting code. At this current moment, there really isn’t an overarching body like FIFA or the ICC ensuring that each tournament keeps to a particular structure. So, do keep this in mind when placing wagers on the sport.