Major League Baseball betting (also known as MLB betting) refers to all wagers made on the top baseball sporting league in the United States. With the league hosting over 162 games each season, there are thousands of opportunities for Australians to make money through sports betting on this league. It is for this reason that the league has grown to become quite popular with sports betting fanatics throughout the country.
So, in order to help the bettors who may be interested in getting involved with MLB betting, we have created this helpful guide, filled with all the titbits Aussie punters need to know about betting on baseball includes where to bet and how to bet on the league. Read on and learn more about this great pastime.
Best MLB Betting Sites 2020
How to Bet on the MLB
There are loads of wonderful MLB betting lines available at our Australian sportsbooks. Some of the most popular with our baseball bettors. This include the following:
- Moneyline – these are simply predictions made on one team to win a match-up. If the punter’s selected team wins, they are paid out on their bet.
- Runline Bets – if you understand spread betting, the you’ll know what run line bets are all about. Basically, sportsbooks calculate the stats and give the favourite to win a particular matchup a handicap. This means that any bet made on the favourite will require them to win by more than the suggested handicap in order for the bet to be successful. Thus, a bet on the underdog will payout if they win or if the opposing team fails to meet the handicap margin.
- MLB Betting Futures – do you think you know who is going to win the World Series this year? Well, then you have got to place a future bet! Essentially, futures are bets made on a championship or MVP title long before the actual event takes place. Due to this, the odds are usually higher on these bets.
- Props – also known propositional MLB baseball betting lines, these bets are based on a specific happening taking place in a match. For example, punters could bet on which team will score first or who the leading team will. More often than not, prop bets take more skill than luck.
- Over/Under Bets – will the score of the match surpass six runs? Well, Aussies can bet under or over this suggested score line with over/under bets available at the best MLB betting online sites.
Top MLB Betting Tips
We’ve got some MLB tips for betting for punters who want to get started on betting on this illustrious sport right here. These are more general MLB betting systems to use, but we suggest that punters keep an eye out at our blog for tips on the latest matchups.
- Focus on Pitchers – it is very important that you know which pitcher is starting for each team on game day. The reason for this is that pitchers have an incredible effect on the outcome of a game. If a team’s star pitcher is out of action, the team may really have a good chance of losing the match.
- Don’t Bet Just for the Sake of it – one very important thing every Aussie sports bettor needs to learn early is that if they don’t like the feel of a particular matchup, they should not bet on it. This could result in an easy loss for no reason. Only bet on games that you feel sure about.
- Know Home and Away Patterns – some teams are better on the road whereas others are better at home. Know a team’s schedule and where they are more likely to play best before placing a bet on a team. This way you ensure that you give yourself a better chance of placing a successful bet when betting online.
- Shop for Lines – this really goes without saying, but every Aussie punter needs to be shopping for the best MLB betting odds. It doesn’t matter whether you’re betting on a singular game, the World Series or the MVP of the season, you’ll only know that you’ve got the best line if you’ve taken a look at all of those available to you.
If you’re struggling to get the hang of reading MLB betting odds, we’ve got the ultimate guide to help you out here. Basically, most Australian sportsbooks make use of the decimal odds system, which is also popular in Europe. This system puts a decimal next to each betting option in the following manner:
You can basically use the method stake x odds to calculate your potential winnings on any bet. The bigger the decimal next to the team, the larger your potential prize will be. However, that stated, it will be harder to win these bets, which is why the odds are so high.